Monday, April 8, 2013

Potty Learning Begins at One!

For Althea's first birthday, we ordered a handmade wooden potty from a local momma and daddy. It is cute, unique, and we appreciated supporting a small local home business. I ordered it not having specific intentions about when the potty learning would begin, but thought we would have it around for the next 6ish months to help ease Althea into the idea, have a place for her to sit when we are in the bathroom, encourage her curiosity, etc. The opportunity to order presented itself and I did so just to be prepared way ahead of time.

When we brought it home, Althea sat on it immediately like it was her high throne! Not surprisingly, we decided to try it out diaper free, "just to see." We sat her on it for the first time, and without even a second delay she was going potty. Wow! Okay, how can you not be a little motivated by that? Our perspective on it changed fast.

This process has taken minimal effort on our part. We sit her on the potty 1-5 times a day depending on how busy the day is. She potties 1-5 times a day. My best guess is that she has peed 90% of the time that she sits on the potty. Less wet diapers, less laundry, can't complain about that. She is proud of herself too!

Last week, we did our usual ritual of removing diaper and helping her take a seat on the potty with a toy or a book, when Althea became very focused. 30 seconds later, we had a poop in that potty! Never before have I wrapped my mind around the idea that I would one day be celebrating poop! Althea was totally proud of herself this time. She kept crawling back into the bathroom to look at what she had done!

This morning, Althea woke up, climbed off the bed, walked into the bathroom and stood at her pottym and looked back at daddy and I. I thought to myself "How old is our child?!" Daddy disrobed her, sat her on the potty, and within 2 minutes we had another poop! I can tell you that Dad, without a doubt, celebrated the ease of clean up from that one!

I have no idea if Althea will be out of diapers "early" or where this path is going to take us, and right now I don't care so much. That is the best part about it! There is no pressure to get this "training" done so that she can be done with diapers in a certain amount of time. It is fun for all of us, and Althea is clearly learning. And there certainly is nothing wrong with having less diaper laundry!



5 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing. Phoebe loves to sit on the potty but still has yet to produce a thing. That would be great to be done with diapers!! (how jealous I would be... ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Hazel absolutely hates her potty lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah....wouldn't that make life a little easier...and I'm sure she is so proud!! Hope she continues to be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great! I was hoping you would be willing to answer my quick question about your blog! My name is Heather and if you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete